Dental or maxillofacial surgeon: who should I consult?

Are you suffering from tooth or mouth pain? It is important to contact an oral health professional quickly before the problem worsens. But how can you know who can help solve your problem? Do you need a dental surgeon or a maxillofacial surgeon?

Here are the differences between these two health professionals and which you should consult according to your dental health problem.

When to consult a dental surgeon

A dental surgeon is a dental professional who did not specialize in a particular field and the term “dental surgeon” is often used to refer to a general dentist.

Dental surgeons can therefore perform any procedure that falls within the scope of dentistry, such as placing a filling, performing a root canal treatment, and more. As soon as you experience a toothache or any other dental problem, consulting a dental surgeon is a good idea.

If your dentist realizes that the root of the problem requires treatment that they are unable to perform, they will refer you to a specialist, such as a maxillofacial surgeon.

    Would you like to consult one of our specialists in maxillofacial surgery?

    When to consult a maxillofacial surgeon

    According to the Federation of Dental Specialists of Quebec, “oral and maxillofacial surgeons assess and treat problems, illnesses, injuries and anomalies of the mouth (oral), the jaws (maxilla) and the face (facial).”

    These specialists offer a variety of maxillofacial surgery services to treat many oral health problems. They are qualified to perform complex procedures, from the extraction of wisdom teeth to bone grafting, orthognathic surgery and dental implant placement

    Maxillofacial surgeon services are often requested by another health care professional through patient referral. Patients can rest assure they are in good hands, since their own doctor or dentist will have referred them to a trusted partner.

    Dental and maxillofacial surgeons, partners for your oral health

    In conclusion, visit your dentist if you have any oral health problems. If necessary, they will refer you to a specialist, such as an oral and maxillofacial surgeon

    Are you looking for a maxillofacial surgeon in Gatineau? At Clinique Evoro, Dr Sarah Théberge offers high-quality, comfortable services that will give you a better quality of life.

    Contact us today to schedule an appointment.